HomeNewsClub NewsMATCH REPORT | Magpies Hammer the Ammies

MATCH REPORT | Magpies Hammer the Ammies

The Magpies travelling fans were delivered an early Christmas present as the magnificent away squad delivered a shellshocked Salford City a 0-3 win at the Peninsula Stadium.  Read all about the action in Oran Willis's match report.

The game started nervy, both sides not wanting to make an early mistake within the first 15 minutes. Salford took advantage of some poor passing from the back by Chorley which allowed Phenix to strike from 30 yards after 20 minutes but his shot sailed high and wide. 

The man that makes Chorley tick Nick Haughton began to take control of the game at this point and with some trickery made openings for himself and also Carver but both couldn’t find the clinical finish to take the lead

32 minutes in the deadlock was finally broken. Walker made space after the referee played a good advantage in Chorley’s favour and set up Haughton to jink to make space in the box to fire into the top corner, a typical great finish by the on loan Fleetwood man.

The Magpies never looked back after this point, never seeming in any trouble in defence with Teague and Jordan winning every ball played forward by Salford commanding the penalty area and protecting Uriwn’s goal from even been threatened from distance.

Continued pestering by Carver, who was busy all day, caused the Safford defence a head ache which lead to him getting onto the score sheet. Carver capitalised on some poor defending on the edge of the penalty area and broke into the box and slid the ball into the bottom corner. A goal well earned by Carver. 

Half-Time Score 0-2.

The second half began as the first ended Chorley looking dangerous in front of goal and the backline looking sturdy and in control.

Carver was again the man of the moment, this time becoming the architect for the third goal. He beat his man on the left wing, sold him a great dummy giving him the space to tee up with a perfectly weighted squared ball for O’Keefe to tap in from 5 yards after 54 minutes. 

Chorley looked to kill the game off and should have been 0-4 when Urwin punted forward a ball which Carver won and headed over the keeper which looked a certain goal before Nottingham made a goal line clearance. 

Salford went down to 10 men when an off the ball kick by Burton was spotted by the referee who was in no doubt that he had kicked Carver who had his number all game.

The Magpies saw out the rest of the game by controlling the midfield possession. Even with Salford throwing men forward to try and get back into the game they were confident in defence and the clean sheet was never in doubt. Notable mentions need to go to Whitham and O’Keefe who worked hard all game to allow the front men to have the success they did. 

Man if the match: Marcus Carver

Final Score: 0-3

Salford -

Crocombe, Nottingham, Touray, Burton, Piergianni, Hogan (c), Mafuta, Maynard, Phenix, Redshaw, Allen

Subs: Livesey, Shelton, Dudley, Dierseruvwe, Askew 


Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman, Teague (c), Leather, Jordan, Haughton, Whitham, Carver, Walker, O’Keefe

Subs: Roscoe, Black, Hughes, Cottrell, Mooney


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Tuesday January 30th

Friday February 9th