HomeNewsClub NewsMATCH REPORT | Chorley Serve Up Southport Stalemate

MATCH REPORT | Chorley Serve Up Southport Stalemate

Chorley’s target today was more of the same after a fantastic display away at Salford winning 0-3. Following Jansen’s statement that the Salford result “…Put the rest of the league on notice. “ Chorley aimed to take advantage of a Southport team who were without a win in 12 games and hadn’t kept a clean sheet since 2nd September.

The game began with Jansen’s men on top with the possession and looking to create openings in what looked a nervy Southport defence.

Five minutes in Walker picked up a low cross by Carver who looked to continue with his current impressive form to open the scoring, but he fizzed his shot just wide of the left post.

Southport had a great chance 24 minutes in when Hallam crossed from the right to the front post to former Magpie Josh Hine whose  delicate  touch on the ball turned the ball goalwards but was caught well by Urwin who was commanding through=out the game in his penalty area.

Chorley looked  to fire back with chances from Walker and Carver but they didn’t challenge the Southport keeper at all.

30 Minutes in Hughes beat his man on the let wing and put a fantastic cross into the box which left the keeper in no mans land but Carver just couldn’t get onto the end of it to put it away.

Jordan Hallam who was looking dangerous for Southport took a free kick slightly right of centre from 30 yards out which brought a stretching diving save out of Urwin, who held well from what seemed a certain goal.

The Magpies then had the exact same position for a free kick of their own 40 minutes in with Blakeman stepping up to take the kick, The keeper was never reaching the shot but it just sailed right of the top corner.

Half Time: Chorley 0-0 Southport

The 2nd half began with Haughton breaking from midfield and being brought down in the 47th Minute by Hallam which looked a sure Yellow Card.  Haughton stepped up to take the free kick which looked goal bound but Worsnop parried his save back into the goal mouth but was put out for a corner by Morgan after a scramble in the box.

Haughton then stepped up again on the 55th minute with a 25 yard free kick but again his shot was just slightly right of the top corner.

Walker broke free from the defence on the 57th minute and ran across his man earning a penalty from a poorly timed challenge by Smith. Nick Haughton stepped up but his penalty was skyped over the bar.

On the 73rd minute Dan Mooney came on to make his debut replacing Matty Hughes who had put a good effort in all game.

Mooney looked to make it a debut to remember when he broke free on the left and drove a low shot which was just saved by the keeper under his body.

Chorley continued to pressure the Southport backline with chances from Whitham, Walker and Mooney but all the changes were blocked and didn’t trouble the keeper.

With 3 minutes of extra time Chorley pushed forward to get the winning goal and from a corner Mooney went for an overhead kick but didn’t make full connection with his shot.

Full Time: 0-0

Chorley: Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman, Teague ©, Leather, O’Keefe, Haughton, Whitham, Carver, Walker, Hughes (73)

Subs: Roscoe, Charnock, Cottrell, Beesley, Mooney (73)

Southport: Worsnop, Sheron, Richards, Morgan, Smith, Priestley, Hallam, Lynch ©, Gilchrist, Sampson, Hine

Subs: Howson, Jackson, Kpohomough, Lowe, Foster

Attendance: 1517


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Tuesday January 30th

Friday February 9th