HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2009/10Northwich Victoria 4-1 Chorley 10/10/2009

Northwich Victoria 4-1 Chorley 10/10/2009

Saturday October 10th, 3pm
FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

After four matches, the Magpies best FA Cup run in recent seasons came to an abrupt end against an impressive Northwich Victoria side at the Victoria Stadium.

Vics, despite their what appears to be consistent poor financial affairs in recent seasons where they seem to have points deducted at regular intervals for going into administration, have a full time squad and so are were arguably the hardest team to draw in their round of the competition.  Being away made things doubly difficult on paper!  Added to this they put EIGHT past their previous cup opponents!

To compound the difficulties, Jamie Vermiglio opted to not play today to avoid being cup-ties and Martin Clark was again missing due to injury.  According to reports at the game, Northwich have handed AFC Telford, the club who still hold Jamie's Blue Square registration, put seven days notice of their intend to sign him.

Within the opening twenty minutes the tie was virtually over as the FA Cups Player of the 2nd Qualifying Round Mark Danks fired home twice.  Right from the start Chorley appeared to pay too much respect to their hosts and failed to put them under any pressure  at all.  The opener was a Stoke City special; a long throw being headed on to Danks, who swivelled and shot home from close range, while the second came from a route one ball over the top, and he raced beyond the defence to chip over Zac Hibbert.

Playing 5-3-2 clearly wasn't working, so Mark Rogers made way for Josh Kenworthy to bolster the midfield on 21 minutes and from here on the Magpies started to compete as the team switched to 4-4-2.

Chorley boy Simon Grand, who marshalled Terry Fearns throughout, almost made it three-nil on the half hour and Hibbert had to be quick to save smartly from a close rang headed in the final minute of the half.  In between these efforts, Adam Kozlowski and Anthony Daniels both had wayward shots and Wayne Maden had an appeal for a penalty rejected by the officials.

At the restart Daniles was replaced by Reece Kelly.

Northwich thought they'd increased their lead on 48 minutes, but the offside flag came to the Magpies rescue.  Chorley best chance so far came on 50 minutes.  Kelly played the ball with to Josh Rothwell, who played in Fearns.  Fearns only real shot of the game was blocked but the loose ball landed at the feet of Kenworthy, whose effort fired just wide of the post.

Hibbert then reacted well to deny Danks when through one-on-one, but the inevitable third came when following the giving away of a cheap free-kick, and Conner headed home.

Ten minutes later it was four as Danks made it three on the day and extended his personal FA Cup tally this season to eight, but a minute later Chris Amadi gave the travelling supporters, numbering over 100, something to cheer when he latched onto the poor back pass, rounded the keeper and slotted home.

We might not have added to our Cup prize money today, but a slice of a decent attendance will soften the blow a little! 

XI: Zac Hibbert, Mark Rogers, Chris Smalley, Simon Pendlebury, Wayne Maden, James Mullineux, Josh Rothwell, Anthony Daniels, Terry Fearns, Chris Amadi, Adam Kozlowski

Subs: Josh Kenworthy (Rogers), Reece Kelley (Daniels), Chris Mason, Matty Barrett, Christian Sawicki (Pendlebury), Francis Foy, Jamie Scott

Att: 617

Goals: Mark Danks (13, 17, 70), Michael Conner (61) CHRIS AMADI (71)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th