HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2010/11Cammell Laird 1-1 Chorley 09/10/10

Cammell Laird 1-1 Chorley 09/10/10

Saturday October 9th, 3pm

The Magpies dropped two potentially vital points in this below par performance at the Kirklands against a cash strapped side that played the entire second half with ten men.

Yet another large following form Chorley roared on the league leaders and all appeared to be going well when Tom Ince scored after just five minutes, but an overall lacklustre team display cost them dear as the hosts struck back in injury time when Laird striker Tom McGill netted on the rebound after Aaron Grundy has blocked a penalty.

With Chester, Curzon Ashton, Fylde and Skelmersdale all winning today, these two dropped points could prove costly when games begin to run out at the end of the season.

The visitors got off to an ideal start when Ince netted early on despite an offside flag from the linesman. The referee correctly ruled the ball that played Ince in was a back pass, so with the game barely underway it appeared that our 100% away record would be extended.

Ince almost netted again soon after, getting onto the end of a flowing move that involved Jack Dorney and Chris Simm.

Ince returned the favour to Simm on the half hour, but the shot from the loanee, whose temporary move from Southport is set to end this week, had his shot saved by Palethorne in the home goal, and shortly after Mark Houghton blasted over when put through by a Simm backheal.

Right on the stroke of half time, just minutes after picking up a yellow card for kicking the ball away, Cammell Laird captain Lee Atherton needlessly dived in on Dorney near the corner flag, and following a red card the red mist descended and he had to be assisted to leave the pitch to prevent ugly scenes with the Chorley supporters.

Into the second half with a man advantage many expected Chorley to canter home; instead the players appeared to coast with the false impression that the job was done.

As the half ticked away, the hosts got more and more into the game. Aaron Grundy made two good saves either side of Dale Whitham shooting over.
Shelton Payne, on as a substitute for Dorney, almost scored with his first touch, but following a high speed dribble his shot was saved.

Whitham almost scored when Payne squared to him, but his attempt was cleared off the line.

With time running out Lairds had two good chances in quick succession, but both were blocked, then into injury time and a foul just inside the box gave the hosts their chance, and despite the spot kick being saved, McGill tucked it past Grundy on the rebound.

Starting XI: Aaron Grundy, Lee Woodyatt, Tom Walker, Mark Ross, Andy Russell, Dale Whitham, Jack Dorney, Steve Flitcroft, Chris Simm, Mark Houghton, Tom Ince

Subs: Shelton Payne (Dorney, 70), Matt Jansen (Simm, 85), Nathan Fairhurst, Jordan Stepien (Houghton, 57), Jonathan Smith

Att: 211

Goals: TOM INCE (5), Tom McGill (90 pen) Man of the Match: Tom Ince, got off to a great start with the goal.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday February 17th

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th