HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2010/11Chorley 2-1 Ossett Albion 23/11/10

Chorley 2-1 Ossett Albion 23/11/10

Tuesday November 23rd

An explosive end to the game brought Chorley’s first league win in a month as the Magpies came back from behind to pick up a much needed three points.

Chorley played the better football in the first half, yet Ossetts direct style meant they had as many chances as us, their best efforts often being from long balls over the top, but Dean Porter was in fine form.

Shelton Payne side footed an early chance just over from 20 yards early on and Nick Meace headed narrowly wide from a Payne corner.

Jack Dorney almost capitalised on a defensive mistake when he picked up a back header, but his shot was weak, then in the final minute Dorney and Lee Woodyatt combined on the wing, but Dale Whitham put the cross over.

Right from the restart it looked like Garry Flitcroft had torn a strip or two off his side as they came out firing. Payne ran at the defence and won a corner, which he whipped to Andy Russell, but the big defenders flick header skimmed the post.

Ossett however then took over and had two quick chances. First Porter pulled off another good save, then when Albion finally beat the Magpies stopper stand-in captain Lee Woodyatt was on hand to clear off the line.

Mark Houghton, making his first appearance since October 9th as a substitute for Rey, combined with Matt Jansen, but the shot was blocked.

Porter has a nervous moment at the back when a clearance cannoned off an Albion striker and flew over his head, but luck was with him as it went out for a goal kick.

Just after the hour mark Albion took the lead when experienced campaigner Michael Senior struck direct from a free-kick, and the phrase here we go again could be heard around the ground, especially when he was nearly two-nil two minutes later.

Flitcroft steady the team, bringing on Fairhurst and Ross, then Ossetts fortunes began to change. Keeper Luke Herriott landed awkwardly after punching a cross clear and with no substitute keeper on the bench it was down to whoever fancied their chances the most between the sticks. Then scorer Senior had to receive extensive treatment after being hit full in the face with the ball.

With time running out the Magpies started to turn up the pressure, but not without leaving themselves exposed at the back as again Woodyatt had to be on hand with a superb last gasp tackle two minute from the end of the ninety.

Then the fight back began! With a minute left on the clock a speculative ball into the middle of the box ended with Russell and Jansen challenging the stand-in keeper for the ball, and although many referees might have blown up Mr Cropp didn’t and Jansen flicked the ball into the back of the net for the equaliser.

Up step the fourth official and seven minutes of added time to play!

With six minutes of added played Jansen was hacked down, in midfield field and a free-kick awarded, however despite the provocation there was no excuse for Matt's reaction as he aimed a head-butt at his opponent and was rightly red carded. The agitator receiving a yellow for his foul.

In a desperate bid for a winner the free-kick was pumped into the box and Andy Russell was on hand to head home the winner.

Hopefully the corner is turned!

Starting XI: Dean Porter, Lee Woodyatt, Tom Walker, Nick Meace, Andy Russell, Dale Whitham, Jack Dorney, Steve Flitcroft, Aaron Rey, Matt Jansen, Shelton Payne

Subs: Jordan Stepien, Mark Houghton (Rey, 58), Mark Ross (Meace, 66), Nathan Fairhurst (Whitham, 66), Aaron Grundy

Att: 431

Goals: Michael Senior (62), MATT JANSEN (89), ANDY RUSSELL (90+7)

Sent off: Matt Jansen (90+6) Man of the Match: Lee Woodyatt, two pieces of excellent defending kept us in it

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday February 17th

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th