HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Chorley 1-2 Witton Albion - 21/08/2012

Chorley 1-2 Witton Albion - 21/08/2012

Tuesday August 21st, 7.45pm

THE Magpies usual six goal salvo to open the home account under Garry Flitcroft failed to materialise as Witton Albion, last seasons First Divison North Play-Off winners deservedly left Victory Park with all three points.

Matthew Wood give the visitors the lead on 14 minutes with a deflected shot the left keeper Andy Robertson as a spectator, then Anthony Gardner doubled the lead on 58 minutes firing in off the post on a counter attack.

Chorley reduced the arrears through Tom Ince, but it was a case of too little too late, and it could have been worse has Witton had their shooting boots on in the opening 45 minutes.

Despite and early claim for a penalty from Steve Foster and the odd rare foray forward, the first half belong to a quick and intelligent Albion side who are obviously still buoyant after their play-off success; much the same as we were this time twelve months ago.

Before the opening goal the visitors has three clear shots at goal, however two went over and the third wend wide.

Chorley had one attack of note, but with two players fouled in the build-up and on the deck, the referee’s decision to give the Magpies advantage was a little odd, especially was following the breakdown of this attack Albion scored.

The visitors knocked the ball around the park with confidence all night and were never afraid to shoot, and on one such occasion Wood’s attempt from 25 yards took a deflection they left Robertson rooted to the spot.

Andy Russell then tested his own keeper with a poor back pass, Robertson and the defence somehow managed to keep the ball our and eventually clear the danger much to the relief of the Magpies number five.

Robertson was on hand to parry a 20 yard free-kick then force the follow up into the side netting before release Chorley in a rare attack. His long punt up field was flicked on by Ciaran Kilheeney ot Steve Foster, but the volleyed attempt by the latter didn’t test Matthew Cooper in goal.

With the break approaching Chorley were awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal, and ideal opportunity to level the score.

However Ince’s poor free-kick resulted in Witton hitting the Magpies on the break and almost lead to a second goal!

After the break Chorley came out with more purpose and Foster faced Cooper head on but his attempted chip only found the palms of the keeper, the a Kieran Walmsley cross was headed narrowly over by Kilheeney as the Magpies looked to get into the game.

Kilheeney the shot narrowly wide before Albion doubled the lead through full-back Gardner whose drive went in off the far post too complete a quick counter attack.

Shortly after going two down, Tom Walker replaced Steve Flitcroft, with Simon Garner switching from left back to him more natural centre midfield role and the fightback began and within minutes the deficit was redued back to a single goal as Ince netted his third of the season from close range.

John Cunliffe and Matt Jansen then replaced Tom Willams and Steve Foster as Garry Flitcroft went for at least a point.
Walmsley slammed a free-kick at the keeper after a foul on Jansen, and somehow Cooper managed to flap the ball clear, then Jansen rounded off a fine move, but his shot cannoned back off the base of the post.

‘Janny’ then tried his luck from 40 yards, but the effort flew over the bar and a minute later Adam Roscoe headed wide from a Walmsley corner as Chorley turned up the heat on a tiring Albion, though the visitors were still dangerous on the break.

Russell headed to Kilheeney, but the normally ace marsksmans volley flow over the angle in what was Chorley’s last chance to draw level, however Albion almost added a third deep in injury time, only to be denied by Garners goal line clearance.

On tonight’s display Witton should be up their challenging for honours come the end of April, while there is room for improvement at Victory Park!

Chorley XI: Andy Roberson, Kieran Walmsley, Simon Garner, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Adam Roscoe, Tom Williams, Steve Flitcroft, Ciaran Kilheeney, Steve Foster, Tom Ince

Subs: Mark Ross, Ahmadi Proya, John Cunliffe (Williams, 67), Tom Walker ( Flitcrofy, 60), Matt Jansen (Foster, 67)

Att: 625

Goals: Mathew Wood (15), Anthony Gardner (58), TOM INCE (67) Man of the Match: Tom Ince, a threat throughout and deserved his goal

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th