HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Chorley 1-2 FC United of Manchester - 24/10/2012

Chorley 1-2 FC United of Manchester - 24/10/2012

Saturday November 24th, 3pm

HOW Chorley didn’t win this match is anyone’s guess, but sooner or later our luck will finally turn as will our results?

Three times the Magpies hit the cross bar in a game they dominated for at least 70 minutes of the action.  Even FC United said they “rode their luck” and the win was a “smash and grab”.

The often enigmatic John Cunliffe was on top form and attempted to chip visiting keeper James Spencer after just two minutes, but the big stopper was up to the challenge.

Chorley pushed FC United back for long periods with Adam Roscoe and Cunliffe causing the visiting defence all sorts of problems as they combined in an effective partnership.

The visitors on a rare attack had the ball in the net on 9 minutes but the strike was struck off for offside, and from this resulting free-kick the Magpies broke.  Tom Ince crossed form the left to Cunliffe, but the striker’s side footed effort sailed just over the bar from six yards.

Mike Norton then fired s snap-shot which Jack Cudworth tipped over the bar.

Back at the over end, Cunliffe walked through four defenders before sliding in Ince, but the wingers shot followed Cunliffe’s earlier effort in going over.

Cunliffe and Roscoe combined to release Dale Whitham, but the stand-in captain was tackled as he was about to shoot from inside the 6-yard box.

With all the action taking place at one end it was a shock when the visitors took the lead on 36 minutes when Norton fired in from a corner to the delight of the travelling reds.

Chorley began to push for an equaliser and Kieran Walmsley whipped in a free-kick that evaded everyone and hit Spence before being cleared, but following the next attack the Magpies were level.

Cunliffe was creator, walking past the visitor’s backline at will before shooting from 12 yards.  His attempted rebounded to Whitham who smashed in off the post to level the scored, the least Chorley deserved for their performance so far.

Just before the interval Tom Walker, making his first league start since September 1st, crossed from the left.  His ball in swerved in the air and bounced off the top of the bar, came down and almost bounced in off the backpedalling Spencer.

In recent weeks Chorley supporters have almost feared the second half as often performances have dipped alarmingly in the second period, but this certainly wasn’t the case today as their team continued to push forward.

However this attack minded performance resulted in Jamie Vermiglio leaving the action early after the midfielder was tackled in the box early in the second half and was replaced by the transfer-listed Chris Denham shortly after.

Walmsley, who can whip in a ball like Beckham at his best, picked himself up after a foul and played a perfect ball into the box to Whitham, but the bar intervened for a second time.

A tiring Cunliffe was replaced by Ciaran Kilheeney on 72 minutes, just after a final mazy run took him across the edge of the 18 yard box, but heavy legs meant he couldn’t get a shot in.

With Chorley pushing forward, occasionally FC hit on the counter, but Andy Russell and Chris Blackburn in the centre along with Walmsley, Walker and Cudworth stood firm and repelled everything thrown at them.  In one attack Russell made a superb block tackle, then from the loose ball Cudworth dived full length to deny the visitors.

Chorley pushed for a winner and Roscoe, following the recent ‘fashion’ in football, attempted a bicycle kick from the edge of the area, but couldn’t follow Messrs Ibrahimovic and Mexès with a spectacular goal.

Two minutes later it was Roscoe again threatening, but again the bar came to the visitor’s rescue, as his header from a Steve Flitcroft cross rebounded to safety.

With just three minutes left on the clock Magpies hearts were broken and totally against the run of play when Matthew Tierney struck a Roberto Carlos style free-kick that would have beaten any keeper, a worthy goal to win any match, but why today?

Starting XI: Jack Cudworth, Kieran Walmsley, Tom Walker, Chris Blackburn, Andy Russell, Jamie Vermiglio, Dale Whitham, Steve Flitcroft, Adam Roscoe, John Cunliffe, Tom Ince

Subs: Ciaran Kilheeney (Cunliffe, 72), Chris Denham (Vermiglio, 53), Mark Ross, Porya Ahmadi (Flitcroft, 88),  Ashley Parillon

Att: 1130

Goals: Michael Norton (36), DALE WHITHAM (42), Matthew Tierney (87) Man of the Match: John Cunliffe, could literally walk through the FC United defence at will

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th