HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Blyth Spartans 1-3 - 18/09/2012

Blyth Spartans 1-3 - 18/09/2012

Tuesday September 18th, 7.45pm

CHORLEY blew Blyth away with a superb second half performance to turn a half time goal deficit into the three-one victory.

Phil Airey gave the hosts the lead on the half hour mark, but two early second half strikes from Tom Ince and Adam Roscoe set the Magpies on the road to victory with Darren Stephenson round off a great away win minutes from the end.

Early on it looked this the mammoth 170 mile journey from Victory Park to Croft Park might have taken its toll on the players has Jack Cudworth was called into early action with two saves required in the opening five minutes, but the team pulled together and fought their way into the match.

On 18 minutes Chris Denham could have rounded off a spell Chorley pressure, but opted to cross rather than shoot and the ball was cleared.

Dale Whitham, looking sharper each week, volleyed a Tom Ince corner at goal, but despite beating the keeper the ball was cleared from 2 yards out.

With the visitors starting to look stronger the home side then hit on the break with Airey netting from six yards giving Cudworth no chance as he turned in a pinpoint left wing cross.

In the latter stages of the half Louis Barnes, Simon Garner and Denham all picked up cautions as Blyth looked to add a second, but it wasn’t all one way traffic with Chorley putting the ball into the next only for the referee to award a soft free kick to the hosts for an alleged foul on the keeper.

After the restart Barnes whipped in a cross the just evaded both Denham and Ince as the tide started to turn.

The equaliser came on 49 minutes when Mark Ross played Ince through on goal, then the diminutive winger calmly flicked the ball into the far corner with the keeper stranded in no man’s land.

Three minutes later Chorley took the lead when Adam Roscoe smashed in from the corner of the 18 yard box to the delight of the 50 or so travelling supporters.

Andy Russell saw his name added to the over officious officials yellow card.

Blyth tried to hit back and had one corner headed off the line, but from here on there was only going to be one winner as the Magpies took control.

Whitham had a header cleared off the line, Roscoe nodded a Denham cross tamely at the keeper and Stephenson snatched a chance wide after cool play from Denham as Chorley looked for a third.

When Blyth did manage to get forward, Cudworth was rarely troubled, but any hope the hosts had of gaining a point were extinguished when Stephenson slotted home on 84 minutes after Roscoe’s cushioned header from an Ince cross landed perfectly at his feet.

Chorley XI: Jack Cudworth, Mark Ross, Louis Barne, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Simon Garner, Adam Roscoe, Dale Whitham, Darren Stephenson, Chris Denham, Tom Ince

Subs: Steve Foster (Stehpenson, 89), Steve Flitcroft, John Cunliffe (Garner, 86), Tom Williams (Denham 90), Matt Jansen

Att: 332

Goals: Phil Airey (30), TOM INCE (49), ADAM ROSCOE (52), DARREN STEPHENSON (84) Man of the Match: Chris Denham, might not have scored but worked his socks off all night

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th