HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Chorley 1-2 Barwell - 07/12/2013

Chorley 1-2 Barwell - 07/12/2013

Saturday December 7th, 3pm

Records are made to be broken and it was Barwell who proved to be the record breakers by inflicting the Magpies first defeat in fifteen games and bringing to an end the 13 match winning streak.

As the winning run grew we became a bigger scalp for all the opponents we faced and today Barwell battled for every ball with the sole aim of ending our run while our performance looked tired and with Josh Hine being absent we lacked pace in the final third.

Chorley got off to a slow start and never really recovered with the usual crisp passing game eluding them for long periods and when the rub of the green was required it was always absent from a home perspective.

Darren Stephenson has the first slighter of the game, but his effort flew straight at Neil Collett in the Barwell goal then minutes later Dale Whitham hit a half volley over the bar from 15 yards.

On 18 minutes Barwell were gifted the opening when a deep Thomas Weale left wing cross was nodding in at the back post by an unmarked Tyrone Kirk then four minutes later a mirror reflection of the opener was netted. 

This time Kirk crossed from the right and Luke Barlone nodded in a looping header to double the Leicestershire sides lead.

Three minutes after the second Barwell came close to nabbing a third, hitting Chorley on the break but Daniel Spencer fired wide with Sam Ashton beaten.

The Magpies regained their composure after this disastrous spell and started to test the visitors with Whitham volleying over then a Chorley corner saw the ball drop into a sea of legs in the box, but it was a pair of yellow socks that hacked the ball away with the luck of the bounce favouring the Barwell.

Stephenson saw a shot deflected to safety then James Dean appeared to take a blow to the head while chasing the ball inside the 6 yard box but the keeper waived away the penalty claims then the final chance of the half saw a Andy Teague ball into the box headed just wide by Adam Roscoe.

After the break Chorley, obviously having been on the receiving end of a half time rollicking, came out with more urgency and reduced the arrears through a brilliant Adam Mather free kick which sailed into the bottom right hand corner of the goal on 52 minutes from 22 yards, Collett had no chance.

Chorley now searched for an equaliser, but Stephenson, Dean , Keil O’Brien were all denied.

Stephenson thought he had netted the leveller on the hour mark, but the goal was disallowed for offside against Dean earlier in the move.

Simon Wiles and Alex Meaney were brought on for Roscoe and Paul Jarvis as Garry Flitcroft looked to freshen up the attack, but despite the officials adding six minutes for Barwell’s obvious gamesmanship an equaliser didn’t appear.

To add salt to the wound AFC Fylde who were loosing two-nil at second bottom Stafford Rangers at half time secured a point with a 95th minute equaliser and Skelmersdale returned to the top of the league after beating Rushall Olympic one-nil thanks to a 87th minute winner from a certain Tom Ince!

Maybe the watching Forest Green Rovers officials went home with a false sence of security?

Chorley XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Adam Mather, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Dale Whitham, Adam Roscoe, Paul Woolcott, James Dean, Paul Jarvis

Subs: Jamie Vermiglio,  Simon Wiles (Roscoe, 58), Alex Meaney (Jarvis, 58), Brandon Zibaka, Jake Cottrell

Att: 697

Goals: Tyrone Kirk (18), Luke Barlone (22), ADAM MATHER (52) Man of the Match: Adam Mather, simply the best player on the pitch

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd