HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Chorley 0-1 FC United - 04/03/2014

Chorley 0-1 FC United - 04/03/2014

Tuesday March 4th, 7.45pm

What goes around often comes around; after the ecstasy  a 95th minute equaliser on Saturday came tonight's agony of conceding a 93rd minute goal that ripped the title race wide open.

With Adam Mather and James Dean joining Tom Baker, Josh Hine & Keiran Walmsley in the medical room, Garry Flitcrofts options are becoming increasingly squeezed.  Adam Roscoe started in the attack with Paul Jarvis again having to revert to left back.

In front of 2,171, the league’s biggest attendance of the season to date, both sides slugged out a midfield stalemate for the majority of the game, though it did spring to life occasionally as both sides looked to avoid defeat more than chase a win.

FC United started brightly but Chorley went closest in the early exchanges when Andy Teague nodded narrowly wide from a Dale Witham corner, the Roscoe’s half-volley was easily saved by the impressive David Carnell in the visitors goal.

On the half hour mark the vocal visiting support thought their side had edged in front when Adam Jones finished from close range, but the whistle had already blown for a foul on Teague in the build-up.

Whitham blasted high then two excellent blocks by Keil O’Brien denided the visitors while Jake Cottrell and Teague found their way into the officials notebook.

After the interval the tempo was upped by both sides.

Carnell was a rock throughout for the Rebel’s, cutting out numerous cross under pressure and turning a Teague header off the bar.

Mike Norton blasted wide then Tom Davies nicked the ball off Darren Stephenson’s toe as he was about to strike.

A Mark Ross tackle on Tom Greaves just seven yards from goal was inch perfect, despite the claims of the vociferous supporters behind the goal.

Jerome Wight hit one shot toward the town centre following a great save from Ashton off Liam Brownhill while Stephenson volley wide from a Jack Dorney through ball.

Greaves was superbly tackled by a back tracking O’Brien.  With the FC United striker racing at goal and with no margin for error, Chorley’s big centre back stretched out a leg and put in a perfect tackle.

Ashton pulled off a superb save in the 90th minute, sprinting across line to deny Matty Wolfenden with the game looking likely to end all square, but with three minutes added there was still time for another goal attempt.

With the clock ticking down FC pressed for a goal.  Ashton raced out to clear the danger, but his kick was less than effective, and while trued to recover his ground FC United moved the ball well and Greaves smashed the ball home before the ex-FC United keeper could fully recover his position.

Despite the defeat, we are still top of the table though the lead has been cut to a single point following Skelmersdale’s latest home win over Trafford, though we still hold a game in hand over our West Lancashire rivals

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Jake Cottrell, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Paul Woolcott, Adam Roscoe, Dale Whitham, Darren Stephenson, Chris Almond, Paul Jarvis

Subs: Jack Dorney (Roscoe, 80), Brandon Zibaka, Jamie Vermiglio, Simon Wiles, Aaron Grundy

Att: 2,171

Goal: Tom Greaves (90+3) Man of the Match: Keil O’Brien, immense at the back

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd