HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Rushall Olympic 1-0 Chorley - 15/03/2013

Rushall Olympic 1-0 Chorley - 15/03/2013

Saturday Marth 15th, 3pm

Walsall-based Rushall Olympic completed a quick fire league double over the Magpies and blew the Evo-Stik League Premier Division title race wide open at the same time.

A goal from Ahmed Obeng in the 13th minute was enough to see the Pics pickup three points while Chorley will have to recover from the defeat quickly with Monday’s Lancashire FA Trophy Final now on the horizon.

And to rub salt into the wounds defenders Keil O’Brien and Kieran Walmsley were beth shown straight red cards in the second half by referee Ollie Yates.

Olympic are a big, physical and uncompromising side whose tactics are very similar to those employed by the old Wimbledon FC in 1990’s.  Their style of play and hard and bumpy playing surface means playing flowing football is not something you get to do at Dales Lane and this was Chorley’s downfall today as they too often tried to play them at their own game.

The first real attack of the game brought the only goal, the highly rated Obeng slotted past Sam Ashton while evading challenges from the defence who could have done better.

Paul Jarvis, once again forced to play at left-back, put in an excellent cross to James Dean, but the strikers acrobatic effort was wide of the target then soon after from a Dale Whitham free-kick Dean headed narrowly over.

Jamie Vermiglio blocked a goal bound effort from James Dance, then Jack Dorney sliced an efforts wide for the Magpies.

Chris Almond picked up a yellow card for what looked an innocuous challenge and Dale Whithan soon added his name into Mr Yates book for persistent fouling, in both cases the home side went close following the resulting free-kicks.

After the restart and cheered on by the 100+ travelling supporters, the Magpies started the stronger of the two sides and Dean almost levelled the score.  The striker found himself through on goal with defenders chasing him down, but he could only hit his half volley straight at keeper Chris Gemmell.

Gemmell was in the action again, saving a looping Andy Teague header from a Mark Ross throw.

Chorley were then reduced to 10 men on the hour mark when O’Brien challenged Jimmy Turner; the referee producing the red card without hesitation despite both players challenging in the same way for the ball.

Minutes later though as Teague was clearing the ball he was caught by a blatantly late and crude challenge yet after much deliberation the referee only awarded a yellow to the offending Rushall player.

Keiran Walmsley was brought on in a reshaped defence, with Brandan Zibaka and Adam Roscoe later joined the action in attack.

Obeng squared to sub Josh Craddock but he could only direct his effort over the bar.

With a man advantage Rushall were difficult to break down, and their uncompromising style of play difficult to contain.

With the game well into stoppage time Keiran Walmsley followed O’Brien.  While attempting to return the ball to Ashton for a goal kick substitute Stan Mugisha held the defenders leg and the frustration of the afternoon boiled as he tamely kicked out with a back heel; the wrong thing to do no matter what the provocation.

Chorley XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Paul Jarvis, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Jamie Vermiglio, Jack Dorney, Jake Cottrell, James Dean, Dale Whitham, Chris Almond

Subs: Adam Roscoe (Vermiglio, 77), Darren Stephenson, Paul Woolcott, Brandon Zibaka (Dorney, 71), Keiran Walmsley (Cottrell, 60)

Att: 253

Goal: Ahmed Obeng (13)

Red Cards: KEIL O’BRIEN (57), KEIRAN WALMSLEY (90+2) Man of the Match: Paul Jarvis, out best outlet throughout

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd