HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14AFC Fylde 4-1 Chorley - 17/03/2014

AFC Fylde 4-1 Chorley - 17/03/2014

Monday March 17th, 7.45pm
Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy Final
The Reebok Stadium

It was a night to forget for the Magpies at the Reebok Stadium as AFC Fylde deservedly retained the Lancashire Challenge Trophy with a comfortable four-one win and to compound the Magpies misery both Keil O’Brien and Paul Jarvis had their evenings cut short due to injury.

Chorley started strongly, forcing a couple of corners in the opening ten minutes.  From the first Andy Teague saw a looping header bounce on the crossbar and Adam Roscoe missed from close range from the second delivery.

Teague then headed wide from a Jarvis cross as Chorley looked to capitalise while on top.

The tide started to turn shortly after this and Brad Barnes and Matty Blinkhorn both had chances before ex-Magpies Andy Russell netted the opener, converting from a contested corner.

James Dean shot wide then a Simon Wiles delivery was over hit and Ben Hinchcliffe gathered under pressure.

Blinkhorn went close but O’Brien defected his effort wide then Dean had a header cleared off the line after Hinchcliffe failed to gather a corner.  However from the resulting corner Dean nodded in the equaliser with just three minutes of the half remaining.

Chorley withdrew O’Brien shortly after the goal after as big defender had been struggling with a foot injury sustained earlier in the match.

But that wasn’t the end of the scoring in the first half and Harry Winter was awarded too much time and space on the edge of the area to slam in a 20 yard drive beyond the helpless Aaron Grundy in the 45th minutes; hitting a hammer blow to Chorley’s confidence.

After the restart Chorley pressed for an equaliser, but Fylde’s midfield and defence stood firm and denied their Chorley counterparts any time or space to play, while offering a constant threat on the break.

Jarvis joined the every lengthening injury list on the hour mark, Jake Cottrell becoming the latest incumbent of the left-back jersey.

The longer the game went on the harder Chorley found Fylde to breakdown while the Coaster grew in confidence and pressed for a third while controlling the midfield.

Casper Hughes had the Fylde fans celebrating prematurely, the 400 or Coasters cheering a goal when the midfielder only managed to hit the wrong side of the side netting!

Mark Ross timed a tackle on Joey Booth to perfection, denying the substitute an effort on goal.

Chorley’s hearts were finally broken three minutes from time as Michael Barnes raced through onto a long ball to slot under Grundy.

Chorley sub Chris Almond forced a save from Hinchcliffe in the 89th minutes, but Chorley born Barnes netted again in the first minute of added time.

Chorley’s recent poor run of form has been extended to one win in seven while Fylde are now unbeaten in 16 games since our New Year’s Day victory over the Coaster at Victory Park!

Starting XI: Aaron Grundy, Mark Ross, Paul Jarvis, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Adam Roscoe, Simon Wiles, Paul Woolcott, James Dean, Dale Whitham, Darren Stephenson

Subs: Jake Cottrell (Jarvis, 60), Brandon Zibaka, Chris Almond (Wiles, 72), Keiran Walmsley (O’Brien, 42), Sam Ashton

Att: 2,348

Goals: Andy Russell (25), JAMES DEAN (42), Harry Winter (45), Michael Barnes (87, 90)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd