HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Whitby Town 0-1 Chorley 19/10/2013

Whitby Town 0-1 Chorley 19/10/2013

Saturday October 19th, 3pm
FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round

Yet another outstanding defensive display saw Chorley defeat Whitby Town in the FA Trophy first round qualifier writes Josh Vosper.

A strike on the half-hour mark from Darren Stephenson sealed a place in the hat for the next round were they will take on Soham Town Rangers on November 2, in a tie worth £3,250 to the winners.

The Magpies have shown great consistency this season and notched up their ninth clean sheet of the campaign and their fifth 1-0 victory. A dominant performance from the Magpies was in evidence straight away as skipper Andy Teague saw his header just sail over the bar. The returning Jamie Vermiglio was a thorn in Whitby’s side throughout the 90 minutes, and he played a through ball to Dale Whitham but the midfielder was beaten to the ball by the rushing Whitby keeper. Minutes later Stephenson saw his effort saved by the keeper. Chorley continued to press and dominate with Whitby resulting to long-range efforts and ensuring Sam Ashton would only be a spectator for the first 45 minutes. Stephenson played an excellent through ball down the left hand side to Mather who crossed but Dean was unable to keep his header on target. But on the half-hour mark came the breakthrough with a much deserved goal. Dean made a surging run forward and played through Adam Roscoe. Roscoe fired across goal from the left hand side and the keeper could only parry leaving Stephenson a comfortable tap-in and to give Chorley the lead.

Half time came without Whitby having any real chances and the Magpies dominating proceedings which wasn’t a repeat of last year as Chorley were dumped out at the same stage last season in the Trophy. Five minutes into the second half and Chorley continued to press. Kieran Walmsley an ever present since his return from injury crossed the ball and Whitham leaped above every body only to see his header excellently tipped over with half the ground thinking Chorley should have been two goals to the good. The home side then had a somewhat better ten minute period but again Ashton was hardly worked. Keil O’Brien then nodded down for Teague but he shot wide before Stephenson crossed for Jake Cottrell but the former FC United man fired wide knowing himself he should have hit the target. 

The Magpies started to go through the gears and minutes after Cottrell effort Dean saw his header cannon off the crossbar after an excellent cross from Roscoe. Dean then had another effort saved by the keeper. Every time the ball was pumped forward, Dean was in the action and on the 80th minute, it was him again but this time his shot was straight at the keeper. Then after being an onlooker all game, Ashton was called into action and made a magnificent save. He saw the effort late but dived down to his left-hand side and clawing the ball out to safety. Chorley then saw out the final moments of the game without alarm and sealed a comfortable victory.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Kieran Walmsley, Adam Mather, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Dale Whitham, Adam Roscoe, Jamie Vermiglio, James Dean, Darren Stephenson, Jake Cottrell

Subs: Josh Hine (Adam Roscoe, 68), Mark Ross (Dale Whitham, 81), Simon Wiles (Jamie Vermiglio, 75), Alex Meaney, Matt Jansen 

Att: 219 

Goals: DARREN STEPHENSON 30 Man of the Match: Sam Ashton - Didn’t have much to do all game but made a blinding save in the last 10 minutes to keep the Magpies lead and see us through to the next round of the Trophy.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd