HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2014/15Guiseley 0-2 Chorley 13/12/2014

Guiseley 0-2 Chorley 13/12/2014

Saturday December 13th, 3pm
FA Trophy
Round ONE

Chorley progressed to the second round of the FA Trophy for the second season in a row with a commanding performance at Conference North second placed side Guiseley.

Two goals in two minutes sealed the victory, but it could have been more had chances been taken, but the down side of the match were injuries to Mark Ross and Darren Stephenson who were both substituted in the first half.

The win sees the Magpies through to the second round, cashing in a cool £5000 for today success, and the name of Chorley will appear in the national draw for the final 32 sides on Monday alongside the likes of Torquay United, Dover Athletic and Gateshead as well as more local potential opponents in AFC Fylde, Hyde and Stockport County.

Right from the kick-off Chorley took the game to their hosts, who by their own admission were under par throughout.

After Shane Killock headed well wide early on, Guiseley rarely threatened Sam Ashton in the first half while at the other end Steven Drench was by far the busier keeper.

Jack Lynch, who has been impressive in recent weeks since forcing his way into the side, drilled a shot wide on 10 minutes with the Magpies first glimpse of goal.

Mark Ross was substituted due to a tight calf muscle after just 17 minutes with Kyle Jacobs coming on in his place.

James Dean fired in a cross from his new right-wing position, but Drench palmed the ball away then Chris Simm mistimed his shot with the keeper stranded.

After a string of corners that came to nothing Chorley were awarded a free-kick and Adam Mather’s whipped in ball evaded everyone to nestle into the bottom corner of the net.  However the linesman on the far side flagged for off-side, but a quick chat with the referee and the goal was awarded as no player touched the ball in the area.

Following protestations from the hosts the game eventually restarted but Gusisley obviously hadn’t got the goal out of their systems and soon after found themselves two behind when on 32 minutes Darren Stephenson sprinted down the left flank and squared to Simm who coolly side footed home.

Just before the break Stephenson, after challenging for the ball, had to be withdrawn with what looked potentially a serious injury; hopefully it looked worse than it actually was – Paul Jarvis replaced the striker and was immediately involved in the “miss of the century” as it was described in the stands.

Simm won the ball near the half way line then advanced to the area.  He passed to Lynch, who in turn moved the ball onto Jarvis.  Jarvo return the ball to Lynch, and with the keeper well beaten he picked out a back tracking defender rather than the 192 square-foot of gaping netting in front of him!

Deep into injury time Gusieley were forced into a change when Ryan Toulson went down when challenging Jarvis for the ball.  The full-back was stretchered from the field and taken to hospital by ambulance soon after with what looked a serious knee injury.

After the restart Guiseley had a purple patch, but Ashton was by in large inactive despite Oli Johnson’s far from relaxed performance up front!

Dean forced a save from Drench with an opportunistic volley from 40 yards as the Magpies looked for a third to kill the game while the hosts plugged away to little effect at the other end where Andy Teague and Chris Doyle were totally dominant.

With around twenty minutes to go Doyle and Guiseley’s leading scorer Adam Boyes challenged for an aerial ball, both players ended up on the deck; Doyle landing on top of the striker.  Boyes kicked out at Doyle while both players were on the floor leaving the referee with no option other than to dismiss the him meaning Guiseley will be without their top striker against AFC Fylde, Harrogate Town and Worcester City over the New Year period.

Despite being down to ten men, Guiseley fashioned their best chance of the game when Ben Parker’s shot from a tight angle rebounded off the post to land in the arms of Ashton – when it’s you’re day it’s your day!

Guiseley wasted a golden opportunity from a free-kick after Teague had fouled outside the area with the dead-ball being struck into the wall; the rebound releasing the Magpies on the counter but a Dean cross was cleared.

Dean again was involved, curling over from 20 yards, before being replaced by Josh Hine for the final ten minutes.

The impressive Jake Cottrell (how we missed him after Tamworth) show just wide of the post and Dale Whitham did the same soon after then with the final chance Simm curled an effort just beyond both Drench and his goal.

So, we go into the hat in Monday’s draw…  Who do you want us to get in the next round, have your say.

Listen to Garry being interviewed following the match by Josh Vospoer.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Adam Mather, Andy Teague, Chris Doyle, Jake Cottrell, Jack Lynch, Dale Whitham, James Dean, Chris Simm, Darren Stephenson

Subs: Josh Hine (Dean, 85), Kyle Jacobs (Ross, 17), Paul Jarvis (Stephenson, 41), Adam Roscoe, Jack Dorney

Att: 498

Goals: ADAM MATHER (29), CHRIS SIMM (32) Men of the Match:  Three player were inseparable in their performance today; Andy Teague, Chris Doyle and Jake Cottrell

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th