HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2014/15Chorley 2-3 Guiseley 09/05/2015

Chorley 2-3 Guiseley 09/05/2015

Saturday May 9th, 3pm
Vanarama Conference North

Chorley suffered play-off heart ache.  After leading Guiseley by two goals at the interval the visitors came back with three second half goals to secure a place in the Vanarama National League for next season.

The Magpies dominated the first half in front of 3418, thought to be the highest Victory Part attendance in 38 years since our FA Trophy run of 1977.

Andy Teague headed in a James Dean flick-on following a Dale Whitham corner after just 5 minutes and then Paul Jarvis, on 23 minutes, weaved through the Guiseley backline before slotting past Steven Drench scoring a second and appearing to put the home side in control, but after the interval Guiseley stepped up to the mark and were help as Chorley lost three key players to injury.

Teague was replaced almost immediately after the restart due to a hamstring strain with Matt Flynn coming on in the 47th minute, then Jarvis took a knee in the back six minutes later with Adam Mather replacing him.

The disruption at the back give the visitors the upper hand and on 56 minutes Adam Boyes reduced the arrears, poking the ball beyond Ashton from a long through ball.

Then on 66 minutes last week’s penalty shootout hero Sam Ashton landed awkwardly after taking a routine cross but despite Danny Fishwick’s best efforts he couldn’t continue and Aaron Grundy was called into action.

Any team losing three of its back five would be affected and Guiseley were very professional in taking full advantage of the Magpies misfortune.

Liam Dickinson, on as a sub in a tactical change for Guiseley, levelled the score on 73 minutes with a header from an acute angle then with their tails up the winner goal was bagged by Nicky Boshall twelve minutes from time, turning in a Dickinson cross.

There were other chances in the game for both sides, but two massive shouts for the Magpies would have changed the game had either counted.

Teague, along with the entire home contingent, thought he’d netted a second on 18 minutes but the goal was disallowed for off side, then more crucially in the final minute when chasing an equaliser Flynn powered a header against the cross bar – some say it bounced behind the line, others say it didn’t - the match officials in the latter group.  Video evidence may provide the answer though it won’t change the outcome.

At the final whistle it was Guiseley who were celebrating, especially so having suffered in the play-offs in each of the last four season with two semi-final and two final defeats – fifth time lucky for the Yorkshire side.  At the other end of the ground it was a reflection of what might have been and with a tiny hint of satisfaction that despite the result it’s still been a fantastic first season in the Vanarama Conference North.

Chorley XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Paul Jarvis, Andy Teague, Chris Doyle, Harry Winter, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, James Dean, Jack Dorney, Jake Cottrell

Subs: Chris Almond, Matt Flynn (Teague, 47), Aaron Burns, Adam Mather (Jarvis, 53), Aaron Grundy (Ashton, 66)

Guiseley XI: Steven Drench, Ryan Toulson, Danny Lowe, Andy Holdsworth, Danny Hall, Jake Lawlor, Wayne Brooksby, Danny Boshell, Adam Boyes, Oli Johnson, Gavin Rothery

Subs: Liam Dickinson (Johnson, 34), Alex Johnson, Jack Stockdill, Nicky Boshell (Rothery, 64), Steve Dickinson

Goals: ANDY TEAGUE (5), PAUL JARVIS (23), Adam Boyes (56), Liam Dickinson (73), Nicky Boshall (78)

Att: 3418 (including 921 away supporters)

Red Card: Harry Winter (after the final whistle)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th