HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2015/16Corby Town v Chorley (15/08/2015)

Corby Town v Chorley (15/08/2015)

Saturday August 15th, 3pm

Chorley picked up their first point of the season with a 2-2 draw against Corby Town at Steel Park writes Jack Wynne.

Less than a minute played and Darren Stephenson should have put Chorley ahead but his shot was high and wide after Walker was caught flapping. Five minutes gone and Kabongo Tshimanga had a chance to put the Steel men in front with a free kick from 20 yards but his effort was straight at Sam Ashton. Shortly after and Anton Brown found some space on the edge of the area but his shot was tame and it was easy pickings for Ashton. At the other end and James Dean had a chance to put the Magpies in front but his chipped effort just cleared the cross bar. Whitham scored the opener for Chorley, tapping the ball past Walker from close range after Stephenson fired a cross in from the left hand side. Two minutes later and Sammons pulled Corby level, guiding the ball into the top corner, after Tshimanga laid the ball off, leaving Ashton with no chance. Sammons scored the second goal for the home side after 34 minutes, despatching a brilliant free-kick from just outside the box leaving Ashton helpless once more. Hine levelled the scores in the 42nd minute, guiding a header past Walker from two yards after Whitham’s initial shot was flying wide.

Into the second half, and Stephenson raced down the right-hand side, before unleashing a powerful shot from outside the box but it was too close to Walker. 51 minutes played and Whitham looked to try his luck with a looping header from outside the box but it was wide of the target. Four minutes later and Mark Ross picked the ball up from 20 yards out, before hitting a powerful strike but it flew past the post. Approaching the hour mark and Ben Milnes found himself with time and space on the edge of the area but he blazed the ball over the bar. A few minutes later and Adam Roscoe’s powerful shot from distance looked to be heading for the top corner but for the out-stretched hand of Walker. 66 minutes played and another chance was spurned by Chorley when Whitham volleyed over inside the box, after meeting Roscoe’s cross. Just under 20 minutes left at Steel Park and Dean fired a shot straight at Walker as the scores remained level going into the last quarter of the match.

77 minutes played and Corby fans thought Aaron Brown had scored the winner, but his header from Cleveland Taylor’ delivery was just the wrong side of the post. Two minutes later and Sammons looked to seal his hat-trick, hitting a swerving effort from 20 yards but Ashton managed to keep hold and keep the scores level. Approaching the end of normal time and substitute Marcus Carver could have scored the winner, but he guided his header wide of the target.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Paul Jarvis, Matt Flynn, Kieran Charnock, Adam Roscoe, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, James Dean, Andy Bond, Darren Stephenson.

Subs: Marcus Carver (Stephenson, 67), Aaron Burns, Adam Dodd, Jake Cottrell (Bond, 73), Lewis Guy.

Att: 759

Goals: DALE WHITHAM (25), Ashley Sammons (27, 37), JOSH HINE (43) Man of the Match: Darren Stephenson - Ran his socks off for most of the game and deserved a goal for his efforts. 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th