HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2016/17Chorley 1-3 AFC Fylde 01/01/2017

Chorley 1-3 AFC Fylde 01/01/2017

Sunday January 1st

There was to be no repeat of Boxing Day’s victory as The Coasters inflicted revenge in the New Year’s Day return fixture.

Matt Jansen was forced to give an earlier than expected debut to loan signing John Cofie as the two-goal hero from Mill Farm, Jason Walker, has been ruled out for up to 8 weeks with a knee injury sustained in that game, and following Sefton Gonzales’ release, young striker Jordan Southworth retained his place on the bench

From the outset neither side wanted to give anything away, but Cofie almost capitalised on a sliced miss-kick in the opening minute but the visitors got away with it.

Jake Cottrell was unlucky not to connect cleanly with a Matt Challoner cross on ten minutes, the full-backs ball into the box a little too pacey for the energetic midfielder who turned down a move to the visitors in the summer.

Fylde dangerman Danny Rowe, who was well shackled in the previous encounter, had an early sighter of goal, but his 17th minute low strike was turned wide by Shaun Rowley.

On twenty minutes Kieran Charnock came within a whisker of opening the scoring.  A superbly delivered Dale Whitham free-kick floated over the top of everyone with Charnock the only player to anticipate the ball, but his header was acrobatically tipped around the bar by keeper Rhys Taylor.

Chorley then has a sustained period of pressure with several set-plays, but couldn’t find a way through the well marshalled Coasters rearguard.

Rowe was lucky not to receive a caution for a late challenge on Scott Leather on the half hour mark and soon after Andy Bond was the recipient of another lenient decision when he appeared to clothesline Adam Roscoe off the ball; a free-kick and a less than stern talking to was the ex-Magpies chastisement.

Chorley again went close to breaking the deadlock on 38 minutes when from a Whitham corner was headed goal bound by Leather, but the close-range effort was blocked on the line.

Before the half was out a third yellow card was avoided by Fylde as Dan Bradley went through the back of Roscoe with again only a free-kick awarded.

Within seconds of the second half kicking-off Chorley took the lead in spectacular fashion with Adam Blakeman swinging in an unstoppable effort from 25 years which curled around Taylor and into his top left corner,

However, the lead only lasted five minutes as from a Brandan Daniels corner Dom Collins headed into the bottom corner at the far post

Daniels then escaped sanction for a foul on Challoner that had both benches up in arms.

Roscoe then picked up the first card of the afternoon for a foul on the edge of the box, but the Magpies wall did its job to deny the ineffective Rowe’s driven effort.

On 64 minutes, the game started to turn in Fylde’s favour when Dan Bradley stole in at the far post to head in from a Macauley Wilson cross.

Two minutes later and following a clash of heads as Josh Langley and Marcus Carver challenged for an aerial ball the game was halted for quarter of an hour as Carver received extensive treatment on the pitch.  Carver was eventually stretchered from the pitch and later taken to hospital and at the time of writing this report (10pm) was still being assessed for his injuries which were believed to include a broken nose, concussion to go with the yellow card the referee brandished as he took the other players from the field of play!

When the game eventually restarted Josh O’Keefe was brought on as a makeshift centre forward in what can the described as an untried and unexpected pairing in attack of Cofie and O’Keefe.

With no Walker and now no Carver in the Magpies attack, the chances of a comeback looked slim, but the home side still pressed forward with Roscoe now enjoying a more advanced role and Will Beesley replacing Sheron as Jansen switched to what appeared to be a 4-3-3 formation.

O’Keefe could add any pace to a right-wing cross from Cottrell and Taylor gathered comfortably at the foot of his left post.

Southworth was introduced as a replacement for Cofie in the 89th minutes, but due to the earlier delay there was another 19 minutes to be played.

Blakeman fired over a short corner inches over the bar and Roscoe was penalised for a headed attempt on the goal-line, the referee signalling for a push.

With more and more bodies being thrown forward in search of an equaliser Chorley were always susceptible to being caught on the break and in the 18th minute of time added on Collins released Bradley and from his right wing cross Bond found himself with plenty of time and space to easily add a third.

Starting XI: Shaun Rowley, Matt Challoner, Adam Blakeman, Nathan Sheron, Scott Leather, Kieran Charnock, Adam Roscoe, Dale Whitham, Marcus Carver, John Cofie, Jake Cottrell

Subs: Andy Teague, Josh O’Keefe (Carver, 67), Wil Beesley (Sheron, 85), Waqas Azam, Jordan Southworth (Cofie, 89)

Att: 3,128

Goals: ADAM BLAKEMAN (46), Dom Collins (51), Dan Bradley (64), Andy Bond (90+18) Man of the Match: Jake Cottrell, obviosly got a new set of batteries for Christmas, he never ever stopped!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th