HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18REPORT | Spennymoor Town 1-0 Chorley

REPORT | Spennymoor Town 1-0 Chorley

The Mgpies suffered their first defeat in seven matches on Saturday, losing by a single goal to nil at a very windy Brewery Field. 

It was a disappointing match in truth, with neither side creating any real goal scoring opportunities, particularly in the first half.

Jason Walker’s glancing header was the only chance of note in the opening 15 minutes, but after connecting with Matt Challoner’s cross, the ball bobbled wide of the far post. 

Marcus Carver undoubtedly had the best chance of the first half for either side, hitting the bar with a header.

A well-worked Magpies corner gave the ball to Nick Haughton on the right hand side. He did well to poke the ball into the box with the outside of his foot to find Carver, but the striker could only hit the bar from four yards out with the ball then falling kindly to the feet of the home side goalkeeper, Jordan Porter.

Spennymoor failed to create much in the first half in blustery conditions and the sides went in level at the break.

The second half began much brighter, with both teams mustering opportunities which, on another day would have been taken. 

Chorley had three clear opportunities to score in the opening five minutes after the restart, but for 

some tremendous goalkeeping by Spennymoor’s Jordan Porter.

The first was within the first 60 seconds as Marcus Carver’s volley on the edge of the area was tipped behind by Porter.

The second, just 90 seconds later was from roughly the same spot. Adam Blakeman this time trying his luck from distance, but the home side’s goalkeeper was equal to it and held on well.

Then the Magpies third and probably best opportunity in the second half came moments later.

A great delivery from deep on the right hand side by Matt Challoner bypassed all the Spennymoor defenders and found Jason Walker. The former Barrow man took it first time from eight yards out but the goalkeeper was there again to parry it away. 

Spennymoor grew and grew into the half as the match went on and ultimately it was a rebound which broke the deadlock and separated the two sides.

On 62 minutes a free-kick was whipped in with a Spennymoor player able to flick on. Matt Urwin was equal to it tipping it away, only for the ball to fall kindly into the path of Andrew Johnson who tucked the ball home from seven yards.

The Magpies attempts of finding a late equaliser were in vain, as Spennymoor were able to hold on to their narrow 1-0 lead and claim all three points. 

The defeat is Chorley’s first in all competitions since mid-September and Matt Jansen’s side will be hoping to make amends when we host Tamworth on Tuesday night.

Team: Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman, Teague © (off 74), Leather, Jordan, Haughton, Wilson, Carver (off 58), Walker, Cottrell (off 83)

Subs: Roscoe, Anson, Jarvis (on 83) , Black (on 58, O’Keefe (on 74)

Attendance: 753

Referee:  Mr A Herczeg

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Tuesday January 30th

Friday February 9th