HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18REPORT | Chorley 1 FC United 0

REPORT | Chorley 1 FC United 0

Chorley weathered the atrocious conditions to secure their fourth home league win of the season against struggling FC United of Manchester on Saturday afternoon, writes Alex Birch.

Nick Haughton scored the game's only goal against a backdrop of horrendous wind and driving rain.

The Magpies made one change to the side that knocked Boston United out of the FA Cup on Tuesday night, with Adam Anson replacing Stephen Jordan in the back three. Following their Cup defeat at Telford last Saturday, the visitors brought in Craig Lindfield, Tim Kinsella and Sefton Gonzales for Jordan Fagbola, Tom Greaves and Connor McCarthy.

Playing against the wind (and torrential rain) in the first half, Chorley struggled to get a foothold in the game early on. FC United could have been two up inside 10 minutes but thankfully the finishing of the visitors' new frontline of Kinsella and former Magpie Gonzales failed to test Matt Urwin.

Pushing back against the pressure, Nick Haughton did his best to open up United's backline. Marcus Carver was the first recipient of the midfielder's generosity, but his centre was blazed over by Jason Walker. Adam Blakeman's tested Lloyd Allinson from close range, and Haughton shot over and across the face of goal, as the first half began to level out.

The last, and best, chance of the first half saw Tom Walker's free kick deflect out Urwin's crossbar, before the rebound ended in the side netting from Zac Corbett.

The second half was played in monsoon-like conditions, which to seemed to affect Carver early on, as Chorley's number nine shot straight at Allinson from close range after good work from Walker down the right. Haughton tried his luck from 30 yards, Blakeman from even further out worried the keeper, before Carver cleared the bar for the second time from another Jason Walker assist.

With 20 minutes to play, and the puddles on the pitch getting larger by the second, Chorley finally made the decisive breakthrough. Pinball in the box resulted in the ball falling to Haughton, and the midfield talisman stroked home to the delight of the masses huddled in the Duke Street End.

In the dying embers of the game, with the floodlights flickering and the rain belting down, United's centre half Corbett was sent off for reacting to a challenge, compounding the Mancunians' misery.

Chorley (5-2-1-2) Urwin; Challoner, Leather, Teague (c), Anson (Charnock, 89), Blakeman; Cottrell, Wilson; Haughton (Hughes, 81); Carver, Walker (O'Keefe, 67). Subs not used: Azam, Jarvis.

FC United (4-4-2) Allinson, Mantack, Brady (Fagbola, 16), Corbett, Wisdom; Lindfield, Kay (c), Irwin (McCarthy, 58), Walker; Gonzales, Kinsella (Greaves, 75). Subs not used: Gilchrist, Senior.

HT 0-0 / FT 1-0

Goals: Haughton (72)

Bookings: Cottrell (foul, 53); Irwin (foul, 57), Kay (foul, 81), Walker (kicking ball away, 85)

Red cards: Corbett (violent conduct, 89)

Gaming Direct MOTM: Adam Blakeman

Twitter MOTM: Andy Teague

Attendance: 1,440

Referee: Sam Mulhall

Assistants: Lewis Smith & Paul Stonier

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Tuesday January 30th

Friday February 9th